Tuesday, March 19, 2013

"Robert Louis Stevenson--Appointment on Moloka'i" by Aldyth Morris ***


  • Drama
  • US author
  • Originally published 1969
  • First performed in Hawaii in 1977
  • I read this in conjunction with the novel, "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert
  • Quotes:
    • "I can say this: when I saw how he had lived, what he had done, I never admired my poor race so much, nor strange as it may seem, I never loved life more, and I shall never cease to wonder at the --prodigality-- with which he gave others what I've longed and hoped and fought for all my life--a strong and robust body."
    • "When we have failed and another has succeeded; when we sit and grow bulky in our charming mansion while a plain, uncouth peasant steps into the breach and, under the eyes of God, succors the afflicted and in his turn dies upon the field of honor--the battle cannot be retrieved."
  • Review:   I read this drama in conjunction with reading "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert.  I was interested in Stevenson's visit to the famous leper colony and his desire to know more about Father Damien.  I would recommend this drama to a reader interested in a brief, easily red summary of Stevenson's life.  I am not sure I would be interested in a performance, but it was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment